Wednesday, September 8, 2010

This summer I had an opportunity to read some books, mostly (OK all) fiction and all political thrillers. Some were good, some were not so good, but I’ll give you the skinny on all three. I’ll try not to give too much away is a give my opinion and give my supporting case.

The Overton Window: By Glenn Beck—This book follows a PR agent, and an aging FBI agent on two different story lines that never really come together as they try to stop a major terrorist attack on the US. It is filled with political diatribes that pretty much give Glenn’s point of view on the world minus religion (see other Glenn Beck posts). The book was long and since I was already aware of most of his political views it tended to drag on. It was an easy read but very anti-climatic. The story had some suspense; however the character development didn’t really happen. The book does keep you guessing (mostly because there is no character development). My Rating: Three out of five stars. It was ok; I wouldn’t recommend this to friends who disagree with Glenn Beck, or to any thriller fans.

The Last Patriot: By Brad Thor: Wow! This book is probably the best political thriller I have read to date. The plot is essentially a mix of “National Treasure” and “The Da Vinci Code”. It follows several characters, an FBI agent, a former Secret Service agent (Scot Harvath) and a former Black Ops agent turned Muslim extremist. They all end up looking for the same book/manuscript, “Muhameds final Revelation” which would change the way Muslims view their faith and traditions. Lots of action and twists, enough back story to each character so that you understand how they got to where they are. There was a healthy dose of history (twisted at some points) to make the book seem more real. The ending gave me chills. My Rating: Five out of Five stars. I recommend this book to everyone.

The Apostle: By Brad Thor: This book wasn’t quite as good as The Last Patriot. The Plot was much more direct. A major presidential campaign contributors daughter is captured so, with the help of the president, she recruits Scot Harvath to go to the middle east to break out a captured terrorist to exchange for her daughter. (per the demands of the kidnapers). There is a secondary plot that I found more intriguing involving the President and the death of his former campaign manager. My Rating: Seven of Ten stars. A good book, but I would recommend “Lone Survivor” by Marcus Luttrell as a much better book on Middle Eastern combat/intrigue.

There you have it folks, those are the three books I read this summer. My current reading schedule dabbles in more non-fiction, as I am currently reading D-Day by Steven Ambrose, and I also have Founding Faith on my future read list. I am also going to be reading “Lions of Lucerne” by Brad Thor (Yes, The Last Patriot was that good).

Much Love,
Ryan

No comments: