Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Life Changes

These past twelve months have sent me into life overdrive. Getting a girlfriend, changing churches, gaining new friends, getting engaged, becoming a leader, learning to become a man, getting married, all the things involved with a wedding, honey-moon, being married etc. A fast pace was set. I think I have, for the most part, lived a fairly fast paced life, whether it was marital arts or ministry something was always going on.

Then someone hit the brakes, life slowed down. The activities were less frequent, travelling was less frequent, more time was spent at home. This was expected to an extent but I feel like my life suddenly became boring. Don’t get me wrong, I mean I love being married, but I guess I expected it to be more work then it actually was. On top of that my job slowed down to the point where I was bored the majority of the day. The meaninglessness of life is/was caving in around me. It makes me question things, like “What difference does it make?”, but I think the biggest thing is my lack of contentment. It turns out that when you don’t have a whole lot going on you tend to get squirmy, and discontent.

My contentment should be found in Jesus, and I think that you can “over do” it but at the same time I don’t think God made me (or anyone) to sit around all day. He made us to do things*, to work the fields, to protect our families, to build relationships, all glorifying Him.

As my work isn’t doing an adequate job of making me tired from a days work, and since I am involved in ministry, I am going to start “working the fields”. I am going to do what God built all people to do WORK, because I am meant to be physically tired at the end of the day. This means running and moving weight. I think this will also help my confidence (not necessarily pride), and confidence is needed when leading.
Much Love,
Ryan

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Discontentment may also be God talking to you and moving you in a different direction. First you are discontent for seemingly no particular reason. Take the slowness in your life now to listen and be still before God. That does not mean you should not be working out, but discontentment sometimes comes from God to get us looking to where He wants us to go.