Friday, October 1, 2010

James 1:19

“My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.”

Slow to become angry? What does that look like? I mean some of the times that I get angry it just happens. I don’t spend time meditating and thinking “Yes, this qualifies as something I can be angry about because xyz criteria have been met.” It just happens, someone flicks my face, the waitress gets my order wrong, someone submits a credit application incorrectly… AGAIN. When triggered by these and many other things my immediate involuntary reaction is anger.

So how does one become “slow to become angry”? I honestly had no idea so I posed the question to my awesome Bible study. Not surprisingly my good friend Travis came up with an answer that blew my mind and made this whole thing so clear. The answer: Holiness and Humility. All of the reasons I listed above made be angry for one reason… ME. Because I am a sinner and can be/am very prideful , when someone flicks MY face it disrespects ME. When the waitress gets MY order wrong I have to wait to get MY food, or I have to suffer through what was brought to ME. When someone submits a credit application incorrectly I have to fix it, and it take MY time away from doing things I want to do.

Don’t get me wrong I believe there is such a thing as righteous anger, but 95% of the time the reasons I become angry is because my little world becomes less than perfect. If I was completely humble and Holy, like Christ is Holy, I would be able to see that those things don’t really matter. The only thing that truly matters is that God be glorified.

To God be the glory forever, Amen.

Much Love,
Ryan

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I think you need to take that concept one step further. Faith. Are you angry because you don't think God can take care of your needs. Remembering nothing is allowed to touch my life except God says its ok.