Saturday, October 2, 2010

Government God and Orphans

I was conflicted on weather or not I should post this, because I felt so convicted in even writing it. I am on the side of lower taxes, but often fail on helping the poor with what I have been given.

This past Sunday our pastor, Brandon, was speaking on the book of James, specifically the verses which talk about taking care of widows and orphans. He told a story of a mother who wanted him to explain to her son why the rich should not give all their money to the poor. He said that the kid was right, that that’s what should happen. This got me thinking about how this would relate to my own views of low taxes and limited government programs for anybody (the poor included). Are my views wrong? Am I twisting the Bible to say something it doesn’t?

In short no, I don’t think that the rich giving all of their money to the poor contradicts my views on lower taxes, and limited government. For one, James does NOT say “Give all of your money/possessions to the government and let them take care of the poor.” We are commanded, I like to think of a finger pointing at me “YOU! take care of the widows”, “YOU! take care of the orphans.”, the responsibility doesn’t rely on a third party it is your personal responsibility to do these things.

When I think about the fact that the Government is slowly but surely kicking God and Jesus out of our founding documents and schools it makes me wonder why government programs would be any different? So if we decide we want more government programs to help raise our children and take care of the needy aren’t we neglecting our responsibility as Christians to bring the gospel and aid to those who need it? I say absolutely YES. I think that voting for higher taxes to pay for government programs it takes money out of your pocket that YOU have been commanded to give to the poor, to pay for services to the poor that YOU should be providing*.

But what about the Christ followers who work for the government and assist in helping the poor and needy? My heart breaks for them, because I know their hearts have to be breaking everyday as they are unable to openly share the one thing the people truly need, and that is the Gospel. Their hands are tied with red tape and they are at risk of losing their job if they boldly proclaim the gospel. I’m not saying they don’t and that they aren’t able to minister in other ways, I just think the ideal would be being able to openly share the gospel.

I know that no matter what some people will have more than others, and we are obligated to give what more if any we have. I just think in an ideal world we would have greater potential for good if the government got out of the way.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down fro mthe Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows"

Much Love,
Ryan

*Some folks do this corporately at a church level, they think they can simply give money to a church and say they are good. I think we have been called to more than that.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

This problem started way before you or I were born. When the church started looking to the government to help the poor.